Players at Saudi-funded LIV Golf who filed an antitrust complaint against the PGA Tour will wait nearly 16 months for the case to go to trial.
U.S. District Judge Beth Labson Freeman set the trial on Thursday for Jan. 8, 2024.
Depending on whether or not LIV’s attorneys proceed with a preliminary injunction — the judge said she had room in her schedule in late September or early October — that means PGA Tour players who have been suspended for having signed with the rival league could go another year without being allowed at PGA Tour events.
Freeman last week refused a temporary restraining order requested by Talor Gooch, Hudson Swafford and Matt Jones who wanted to play in the PGA Tour playoffs.
LIV’s lawyers had wanted a trial date for August 7, 2023, arguing that the case needed to be expedited. PGA Tour lawyers said it was unreasonable to prepare adequately and noted that it coincided with the start of the FedEx Cup playoffs and made it difficult for the PGA Tour commissioner and other executives. whose testimony would probably be required.
Freeman has set July 23, 2023 as the date for summary judgment, when the tour will likely seek to have the case dismissed.
The lawsuit was filed two weeks ago by 11 players, although Carlos Ortiz requested that his name be removed from the lawsuit and LIV’s lawyers said he would need discovery material from nine players, stating that another might have dropped the lawsuit.
More AP Golf: https://apnews.com/hub/golf and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports