In August, the PGA Tour announced that in addition to the four major tournaments and the Players Championship, 12 other events would have “high status”, meaning that the top 20 golfers in the Player Impact program would be required to participate in each. with purses raised to $20 million.
When unveiling the plan, PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monahan said the other high events each year would be the three FedEx Cup Playoff tournaments, the Genesis Invitational, the Arnold Palmer Invitational, the Memorial Tournament, the Sentry Tournament of Champions and WGC- Match Play from Dell Technologies. Plus, there would be four more rotating so fans from different fields would have the chance to see all the top stars.
These events were announced Wednesday by the PGA Tour:
- WM Phoenix Open at TPC Scottsdale in February
- RBC Heritage at Harbor Town Golf Links on Hilton Head Island in April
- Wells Fargo Championship at Quail Hollow in Charlotte, North Carolina in May
- Travelers Championship at TPC River Highlands in Connecticut in June
Although this decision was made to counter the $25 million purses offered in LIV golf events, the PGA Tour is keeping all events elevated in the United States, at least for 2023. Some analysts believe this could be a advantage for LIV, as it seeks players from all over the world and has held its last two tournaments in Asia.
I will say I’m surprised that none of the PGA Tour high profile events are outside of the US – you’d think the tour would want to be more international, but now the only high profile event outside of the US is The Open . LIV can now present itself as the * world * tour, which appeals to non-Americans.
— Dan Rapaport (@Daniel_Rapaport) October 19, 2022
The PGA Tour did not specify if the four high tournaments for 2023 would be in a fixed rotation of a set number of years or if the four would simply be determined on an annual basis.
Cover image Via GolfMensuel
- PGA Tour names 4 more ‘high’ events with huge $20M purses for 2023 – October 20, 2022
- Report: Saudis plan to fund LIV Golf only until 2025 – October 19, 2022
- Jonah Hill will play John Daly in the next biopic – October 18, 2022
- Golf World snaps some photos as Brooks Koepka wins at LIV Golf in Saudi Arabia – October 17, 2022
- Career resurgence continues for Rickie Fowler as he leads ZOZO PGA Tour Championship through 36 holes – October 14, 2022
- Takeaways from Phil Mickelson’s LIV press conference: Never the infamous interview, believes PGA tour down – October 14, 2022
- Top LPGA stars Lexi Thompson and Nelly Korda take wait-and-see approach to potential women’s LIV golf series – October 13, 2022
- Jack Nicklaus ‘concerned’ that PGA Tour upgrades will create ‘two circuits’ – October 12, 2022
- Report: LIV Golf can move to 72-hole events with a cut from this week – October 11, 2022
- Jon Rahm calls the best Americans and Europeans to the Ryder Cup, regardless of PGA or LIV status – October 11, 2022
Show all posts